Monday, October 27, 2014

Fighting Terrorism - What's The Best Way?

OK, I know I haven't blogged about this before, but terrorism really pisses me off.  I have to say I do know what it's like to be so angry at something you just want to smack someone in the head or shoot someone, but I, unlike terrorists, try to calm myself down and don't act on my momentary violent thoughts.  I'm all for people fighting against oppression and trying to make everyone aware of what's wrong in the world, but terrorism isn't the way to make the world aware of the problems out there!  In fact, killing or kidnapping innocent people only makes the world fear, hate and want to kill you, not want to help improve your situation.  Furthermore, killing or kidnapping innocent people in the name of any religion or cause makes people hate or fear everyone associated with that religion or cause, no matter how valid or just it is.  I don't get why terrorist groups like ISIS/ISIL, Boko Haram or Al-Qaida don't see or care that they're making things so much worse for Muslims.  I think a lot of people believe Islam is responsible for terrorism when the real problem isn't Islam or Muslims but the fucked-up way some people interpret the Qur'an and twist it to suit whatever sick ideas they have.  In fact any religion can be twisted to suit the sick ideas of a few assholes -- it's been done with Christianity and I'm sure it's been done with other religions too.

And although I'm also not a big fan of a lot of the actions the military has carried out, it's still wrong to kill military personnel or anyone else, and the attacks on the soldiers in Ottawa and Montreal last week were totally horrible and unjustified.  I'm really sorry for the families of the military guys who were murdered, and I really hope there aren't more assholes like those terrorists waiting in the wings to kill more people here.  But I don't just want to see an end to terrorism here, I don't want innocent people killed here or in any other country.  I don't want innocent kids anywhere kidnapped or harassed just for trying to get an education.  What I keep wondering is how to stop this shit from happening.  A friend sent me a YouTube clip of an interview with Malala Yousafzai at the Forbes Under 30 Summit, and you can check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAhjiUh-Pho.  in this interview she said the best way to prevent terrorism from perpetuating is to make sure all kids have an education, not to kill terrorists.  She said that although killing a terrorist might prevent one attack from happening, that terrorist might have a kid who grows up to become a terrorist because the kid's father was killed.  I can definitely see her point, especially if the child becomes poorer with no father and doesn't get the opportunity to go to school and learn that there are other ways to deal with stuff.  Although that doesn't account for a lot of middle-class people who are well-educated and have parents that are well-educated but still get sucked into this shit.  I wonder if those people are like messed-up sponges that just suck up and act on whatever crap people tell them.  And exactly what do you do with those idiots?

I'm sure there's no cut-and-dried answer to this stuff, but it seems to me like we need some way to stop and prosecute current terrorists while educating kids to keep them from becoming terrorists.  I don't have any training or anything, so I have no fucking idea what's the best way to do this, but I hope someone will come up with the right answer soon.

No comments: